Tuesday, January 27, 2009

T what?

TPACK...technological pedagogical and content knowledge. That's a mouthful. The easiest way for me to understand what this acronym means is to break each part up into my own connotations relating to the course interpretation.

Technological = technology...how well we understand and can use technology
Pedagogical = how well we know how to teach
and
Content = how well we know the topics we are teaching
Knowledge = what we know

Basically, as teachers, we can use any cominations of the these terms. We could have great technological knowledge, but not be very good at teaching it. We might know the subject content (content knowledge) and masterfully present it to our students with our pedagogical knowledge, but not know how to integrate our technological knowledge into our teaching. The ideal is a mix of all of the above.
We learned the term "modalities" in our ed psych class. The best teachers use multiple modalities as they teach, reaching all types of learners in the process. That's kind of how I interpret TPACK. We use all the components of TPACK to reach our learners.
I think most of us teachers have the pedagogical and content knowledge down (hopefully!). The trick is the technology part. The kids we are teaching are raised in a world of technology. My nephew could operate the computer better than his mom when he was 5!
For me, something that stood out in the reading was that using a powerpoint reading is NOT considered using technology for learning. Yes, you are using technology, but the kids are not. A powerpoint is serving the same purpose any visual, like a posterboard, serves. The key is to get your students using technology! Don't show them, but let them do!

I love google. For the technologies we explored I played with google earth and google sky. I've only used it a little before, and they have raised the bar! You can change the daylight settings, or watch the sunrise from a particular setting. How cool is that?
For kids, we could have them play with map making and directions. You can click on little icons that give details about particular places. I might have my class write directions of how to get to the doctor, or vet, or park from their house. Figuring that out on google earth is way more fun than just drawing a map themselves. It also makes the learning more concrete.
I also checked out Kidsperation, or Inspiration 8. It's a program that allows you to make awesome visuals like outlines, bubble charts, tree charts, etc. You can even create a visual one way, and with the click of the button the program would convert it to a different type of visual. (multiple modalities...wink wink) I might have a student who learned best with text representations. But another student might learn better with pictures. Viola...just click one button and I have both! This is ideal for group projects or class presentations. Don't ya just love technology?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great synthesis of what you are learning. It is true that when students are using technology as opposed to just the teacher that is ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post. I'd have to say...I would hope that all of us teachers have the content and pedagogical knowledge...but I'm pretty sure that I'm still struggling in those areas!!!

    ReplyDelete