Friday, March 20, 2009

aaah technology

My technology-enhanced lesson was on fact families. Prior to preparing for this lesson, I didn't know what they were, so I'm going to assume most people don't and explain. There are 3 numbers in a fact family that all relate to each other. For example, 2,3,5. With these three numbers, you can make two addition sentences and two subtraction sentences.
2+3=5
3+2=5
5-3=2
5-2=3
At my school there is not much technology at all, especially in the younger grades. They don't have any official computer instruction, especially keyboarding, until third grade. I am teaching first. My options for technology in any lesson there are limited to an overhead projector, using the teacher microphone, projecting something from the computer onto a very small tv screen, or going to the computer lab. I chose the last option.
First I instructed the children in class. I modeled the idea using interactive and kinesthetic learning. We practiced in class before going to the computer lab. The ideal technology integration would use the computers for modeling as well, but given the experience my students have with computers and what is available at that school I didn't think that was a wise choice.
After practicing the idea enough in class that I felt the students would be successful using a computer game I found online, we went to the computer lab.
Getting the students to the website took some work, as none of them, unless at home, have ever had any keyboard experience, and many struggle with reading and writing in general. I modeled how to get to the website and wrote the address on the markerboard. The students did a pretty good job at getting to the website, but it took a while.
Once there they loved the game! The game I used put a fact family and the =, +, and - symbols at the top of the screen. At the bottom of the screen were boxes, and the students were to click on the appropriate symbols to fill in the fact family sentences. When they finished all four, they would either get a smiley or frowny face if they got it right or wrong. A voice stated what they were clicking on so they were even receiving multi-sensory stimulation. Such fun! Here's a screenshot of the game:

1 comment:

  1. I bet your lesson went great! I remember how much I loved games like this one in elementary school even if they were math games. Just the fact that I was playing a "game" made it fun. I also believe that games like these are very beneficial because they give students lots of practice. Good job!

    ReplyDelete